So here’s the short VFX work I’ve been doing lately. It came time where I was like ok, I’m just done with this. Most of the time was spent tweaking things to get different results.
And a little more info:
2nd: Import into Premiere Pro.
3rd: Take into After Effects, deinterlace, mask out the pen in 3rd shot
(I actually threw my pen as a reference, I took it out in After Effects so it wouldn’t look weird with a pen and missile)
4th: Render out lossless avi’s for final composite and image sequences for 3D work.
5th: Image sequence of 2nd shot into Cinema4D. Model missile. Animate it changing. Render out missile with alpha.
6th: Image sequence of 3rd shot into 3DS Max. Camera matching, perspective, etc.
7th: Model kitchen walls, import missile, animate it being thrown.
8th: “Fracture” wall when missile hits, physics simulation of wall breaking.
9th: Attach emitter to missile, tweak, simulate.
10th: Another separate emitter and simulation for the wall explosion. Most of the work was done here, tweaking, getting it to explode correctly and not continue to blow up the rest of the room.
11th: Render out all of this from 3DS Max with alpha channel.
12th: Composite two renders with their respective videos, touch up, and color correction in After Effects.
13th: Export from Premiere Pro.
So yeah. Measurements were taken of the pen, wall, and surroundings so everything is to scale. Reference photos of the pen and an HDRI of the kitchen for the 2nd shot. Reference photos of the wall for the 3rd.
The impact wall was obviously modeled, but I textured it with the reference photos I took. No HDRI for the 3rd shot, but I did reproduce the lighting as well as I could.
Touching up in After Effects at the end included matching the grain of the rendered shots with the originals, and the general (brightness, contrast, saturation) settings of each. More severe touch ups like pseudo-lighting the surroundings with adjustment layers for the explosion because I didn’t model anything else from the kitchen for it.